McClure's still lifes, studio interiors and landscapes demonstrate an inspired sense of composition and use of rich colour.
Oil on canvas
99 × 127 cm
120 × 145 cm
Signed and dated
Ⓒ The Artist's Estate. All Rights Reserved 2019/Bridgeman Images
David McClure RSA RSW RGI, 1926-1998
Born in Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire, McClure attended Glasgow University, breaking is studies for war service in the mines in 1944. Afterwards he studied at Edinburgh University and Edinburgh College of Art, and a travelling scholarship took him to Spain and Italy in 1952 and 1953. He taught part-time at Edinburgh College of Art from 1953 to 1955, when the college's award of the Andrew Grant Fellowship allowed him to paint full-time for two years, par of which he spent in Sicily. In 1957 he joined the teaching staff of Duncan Jordanstone College of Art in Dundee, where he was Head of Painting from 1983 until he retired two years later.