Oil on canvas
89 × 119 cm
108.5 × 139 × 6 cm
Ⓒ The Artist's Estate
Sir Robin Philipson PRSA RA RSW, 1916-1992
Born in Cumbria, Philipson was educated in Whitehaven and Dumfries as a consequence of his father being moved around in his job with the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. In 1936 Philipson enrolled at Edinburgh College of Art, where his teachers were David Alison, John Maxwell and William Gilles. On graduation in 1940 he went into the army, joining the King's Own Scottish Borderers and serving in India and Burma. After demobilisation he underwent a short period od teach-training before joining he staff of Edinburgh College of Art in 1947. In a distinguished career he served the college for thirty-five years, the last twenty-two as Head of the School of Drawing and Painting balancing the roles of teacher, administrator and painter.
Philipson exhibited widely throughout his career. His paintings were included in a 1952 touring exhibition Young Contemporary Painters organised by the Scottish Arts Council, and in 1954 and 1958 he was given one-man shows at the Scottish Gallery in Edinburgh. These were followed by two solo exhibitions in London at Roland, Browse and Deblanco in 1960 and 1962. Philipson was elected President of the Royal Scottish Academy in 1973, an office he held for ten years, and in 1976 he was knighted.